You Know What? I'm Getting a Wii U

6:28 a.m. No Comment

In this corner, the Xbox One, with its (mostly) all-knowing Kinect. In the opposite, the PS4, with hardcore gamer cred to spare. If you accept to a lot of pundits—including us!—that's the abounding reckoning of the action for your animate dollars. Me? I'm affairs a Wii U. And maybe you should, too.


You Know What? I'm Getting a Wii U
Xbox One Review: Absolutely Amazing (When It Works) Xbox One Review: Absolutely Amazing (When It Works) Xbox One Review: Absolutely Amazing (When It Works

Eight years later, the Xbox 360's successor--and Microsoft's latest bid to yield over your … Apprehend added Read more


You Know What? I'm Getting a Wii U
PS4 Review: The Approaching Is Assuredly Here PS4 Review: The Approaching Is Assuredly Here PS4 Review: The Approaching Is Assuredly Here

The next gen is here! Or bisected of it, anyway. Sony's PS4 has appear in aboriginal the accidental dart … Apprehend added Read more


You Know What? I'm Getting a Wii U
Xbox One or PS4? Xbox One or PS4? Xbox One or PS4?

The next bearing of gaming consoles is finally, assuredly here. The PS4 and the Xbox One are both… Apprehend added Read more

Remember the Wii U? Quirky little thing, behemothic gamepad, came out endure year? Of advance you don't! No one does. I never gave the Wii U austere application if it launched endure year; it was too different, too expensive, too abounding appearance weren't enabled yet. Besides, it would accept been crazy not to delay and see what Microsoft and Sony had in store. In the concurrently my Xbox 360 was accomplishing just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Like any acceptable adventurous comedy, though, it turns out the one I absolutely capital was appropriate there all along. Here's why.

More Amateur Now (Or Soon) That I Wish to Play

The Wii U's arch alpha will be negated in a year or two, sure, yes. But a year or two is not now, and appropriate now the Wii U has about 200 amateur at its disposal. Xbox One and PS4 could be abundantly declared as accepting a "handful" of games, as continued as the easily in catechism are tiny little babyish hands.

That's not fair, you're thinking. And you're right! It's alone a bulk of time afore Xbox One and PS4 lap the Wii U in games, including megatitle exclusives like Halo 5 and the next Uncharted. If you are a austere or even center austere gamer, you are apparently traveling to wish one of those titles, and you should get the animate that will accept it.

Me? I'm not so serious. But I do adulation Mario.

GIF credit: Kotaku

The Wii U ability not accept as abounding barnburner absolute titles, but it does accept the ones that I want. Specifically, the ones that accumulate me with Mario and Link. Super Mario 3D World and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD are assuredly here. Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are coming. I'll barter my Master Chief animal attempt for a Luigi bang any day.

Super Mario 3D World: The Kotaku Review Super Mario 3D World: The Kotaku Review Super Mario 3D World: The Kotaku

Super Mario 3D World is a agitating video game. It's just not a actual acceptable Wii U game. Apprehend added Read more

The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: The Kotaku Review The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: The Kotaku Review The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: T

If you've anytime had the accident of bubbler with me and bringing up the accountable of video… Apprehend added Read more

Not to acknowledgment that the Wii U—unlike the Xbox One and PS4—is backwards compatible, acceptation I can breathe new activity into my old titles as well. I don't accept an all-encompassing archive of Wii games, but I'm comforted by the actuality that I don't accept to buy the ones I like all over afresh to backpack them with me into this generation. Or, if I'm activity nostalgic, I'm just 5 bucks abroad from Super Metroid.

A Built-In Second Screen

While the Xbox One is absorption on a alive allowance takeover—often to abundant success—I'm added absorbed in the Wii U's GamePad, a affection that seems congenital accurately for a domiciliary in which the television is aggregate by those who sometimes adore a little Madden and those who don't. Hey, that's my household!

The Wii U's GamePad makes it able in a way that the Xbox One and PS4 aren't appropriate now, in a way that apparel my needs bigger than getting able to allocution to my video amateur anytime would. I play amateur in abbreviate bursts, avaricious a few account actuality and there amid plan and parenting and... well, honestly, amid those two actual time-consuming (and rewarding!) things.

The PS4 offers some overlapping capabilities—if you own a PlayStation Vita. That's at atomic addition $200, though, on top of a animate that already costs $400. I'll yield the Wii U.

This One's For the Kids

When I was in my early-to-mid 20s, I capital annihilation added than to shoot my accompany in the face with a armament launcher. I anticipate that's a altogether accustomed and advantageous impulse, and if you're in that demographic now, you should absolutely get a animate (read: Xbox One or PS4) that encourages it, finer in some array of multiplayer dystopian landscape, maybe with aliens? There should apparently be aliens.

I'm earlier now, though, and accept a babe who is actual about a year old. I do not wish to shoot her in the face. I wish to acquaint her to Kirby.

There are—or will be, eventually—family-friendly amateur on every gaming platform. Kinect, in particular, offers abundant means to accomplish gaming an alive acquaintance instead of a assembly of couchlarditude. But at their bulk PS4 and Xbox One are still testosterone-fueled action bricks, Monster activity drinks incarnate. For many, abounding people, including me from 5 years ago, that is a acceptable thing! It's not, though, what I charge now.

I wish my babe to abound up with Mario and Luigi and Kirby and Donkey Kong and Link and Zelda. I wish the amateur I play to be amateur she can play too. We're a few years off from her acrimonious up a controller, but this is the animate I'm traveling to own for a decade. I wish it to be a aggregate experience, instead of one area amoroso goes cycle down to his man cavern and yelps about n00bs for an hour while anybody abroad enjoys a affable bold of Cranium.

A Media Diet

The Xbox One and PS4 both action acute set top box experiences. They feel actual abundant like the future. That's great! But I don't charge it.

The ball apps I'd like to be able to admission on my television are Amazon Instant Video and Netflix. That's it. Wii U has those. As does my television, and my Apple TV, and my Xbox 360. I am not defective for content. Chances are, in this affiliated age, you aren't either.

The Xbox One offers the a lot of acute counterpoint, back its alive allowance ambitions go above just apps to cover a (much-needed) complete approach adviser check and more. That's tempting! But annihilation that involves on-demand video for the Xbox One requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription, a tax on account fees I'm already paying for Netflix and the like. And while the cable box alternation is neat, it's aswell surface-level in a way that makes it apathetic and not absolutely approaching abundant to pin your absolute acquirement accommodation on. Or at least, not for me.

All of which is to say, I don't charge addition way to watch Netflix. And if I did, I'd apparently just get a Roku.

Less Chance of a Lemon

Another acumen that's carefully near-term. But back humans are chief amid a PS4 and Xbox One appropriate now, today, it's account pointing out that first-run accouterments is imperfect. It just is, no bulk if it's a animate or a smartphone or a laptop or a hairdryer or some array of smartphone-hairdryer hybrid.

That's why you're seeing letters of a PS4 dejected ablaze of death and faulty Xbox One disc drives. It's a actual baby percentage, and it happened to first-run Wii U units, too. It's not a big deal, it affects every OEM, and companies are usually added than blessed to alter bum hardware. But! By this point, the Wii U's accomplishment action is fine-tuned and adulate smooth. And that affirmation is account (a actual little) something.

This is not a acceptable acumen not to buy a console. But it's account mentioning, as an doubtful absoluteness that can still happen. And it's an even bigger acumen to at atomic delay on the new breeds.

I'm Cheap Frugal

Okay, cheap. I'm accomplished with cheap. The Wii U does aggregate I wish it to do, has amateur that I wish to play that I will not acquisition elsewhere, and does it for $100 beneath (bundled with a appealing abundant game) than the PS4, and $200 beneath than the Xbox One.

Yes, that amortizes over the lifetime of the console. Yes, in the admirable arrangement of things it's not a huge bulk of money. But appropriate now, today, it feels a accomplished lot like not paying added for being I don't need. Especially alive that PS4 and Xbox One amount drops are themselves inevitable, and will acceptable bang in appropriate about if there are assuredly amateur you in fact wish to play on them.

It's absolutely possible—probable, even!—that the Xbox One or PS4 is appropriate for you. That's fine. But it's a abashment that the Wii U has been larboard out of this accurate chat altogether. Especially back for some of us, it's the exact appropriate fit.

No hay comentarios. :

 
Copyright © Cafe Celebrity | Powered by Blogger